I grappled a lot with the perfect theme for my Picture Book 10 for 10 list this year. I tossed around all sorts of ideas from Jewish picture books to social issues for toddlers “powerful texts as a way to teach with humor, love and compassion.” On Wednesday night, I looked around my office at the stacks of review copies publishers have graciously sent for me to consider reviewing on Two Writing Teachers or for inclusion in Craft Moves. That made me think I should just write a post with my ten favorite new titles.
Nah, too simple.
Instead, I kicked it up a notch and pulled together a list of new books with strong female protagonists. These are the books I’m proud to share with my daughter since each of the main characters have a back story, trait, or attitude worthy of emulation.
- Edgar’s Second Word written by Audrey Vernick and illustrated by Priscilla Burris (Clarion Books, June 3rd, 2014) — Click here for my full review of this book over at Two Writing Teachers.
- Hana Hashimoto, Sixth Violin written by Chieri Uegaki and illustrated by Qin Leng (Kids Can Press, August 1st, 2014)
- Imani’s Moon written by JaNay Brown-Wood and illustrated by Hazel Mitchell (Mackinac Island Press, October 14th, 2014)
- Lola Plants a Garden written by Anna McQuinn and illustrated by Rosalind Beardshaw (Charlesbridge, August 5th, 2014)
- Maple by Lori Nichols (Nancy Paulsen Books, February 20th, 2014) — I’m beyond excited about Maple & Willow Together, which will be released later this year.
- Millie Fierce Sleeps Out by Jane Manning (Philomel, May 29th, 2014)
- Miss Brooks’ Story Nook (where tales are told and ogres are welcome) written by Barbara Bottner and illustrated by Michael Emberley (Knopf, August 5th, 2014)
- The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires (Kids Can Press, April 1st, 2014) — Click here for my full review of this book over at Two Writing Teachers.
- The Worst Princess written by Anna Kemp and illustrated by Sara Ogilvie (Random House, April 22nd, 2014)
- Underpants Dance written by Marlena Zapf and illustrated by Lynne Avril (Dial, April 3rd, 2014)
Past #pb10for10 lists:
2013: Bedtime Stories for the Toddler Set
2012: Picture Books I Couldn’t Live Without (Like the double-negative?)