Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve loved bears. Give me a nonfiction text about bears and I devour it. Show me a fiction book with bears as characters and I’ll most likely love it. Tell me a story about bears and I’m all ears. (Though I wasn’t so excited when I heard that the neighborhood bear showed up on my next-door neighbor’s patio last summer, but that’s another story.)
My father sang “Teddy Bear’s Picnic” to me when I was a little girl since I was a teddy bear lover. It became one of the songs of my childhood. As a result, I sing it to my daughter whenever we get together with her bears for an indoor picnic/tea party.
Today IS the day the teddy bears have their picnic. That’s right. It’s National Teddy Bear’s Picnic Day. We’ll be celebrating at Bamboo Frozen Yogurt this evening. They’re hosting a special story time and music in honor of this special day. Once we’re home, we’ll read some books before bedtime. One of those books is sure to include Tell Me the Day Backwards by Albert Lamb and David McPhail, which is her favorite bedtime book these days.
Want to get your hands on some great bear books for National Teddy Bear’s Picnic Day (or any day)? Here are tenfavorites:
- Bears in Beds by Shirley Parenteau and David Walker
- Bizzy Bear: Off We Go! by Benji Davies –> Really, any Bizzy Bear book delights my daughter. However, this is her favorite, which is why I am listing it.
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle
- Courduroy by Don Freeman
- Little Cub by Olivier Dunrea
- Old Bear and His Cub by Olivier Dunrea
- Tell Me the Day Backwards by Albert Lamb and David McPhail
- The Bear’s Song by Benjamin Chaud –> I received a review copy of this book, which will be out in October. I will be reviewing it later this summer.
- We’re Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury
- When You Meet a Bear on Broadway by Amy Hest and Elivia Savadier
What are your favorite teddy bear books? Please share. (We always have room for more bear books in this house!)